HIGH VACUUM EVAPORATOR for Multiple Applications
The K975X Turbo Evaporator, is a multiple application system to enable a range of preparation techniques to be applied with the flexibility and module expansion capability to develop new methods and prepare new specimens.
It allows for Carbon Evaporation, Metal Evaporation from both Baskets and Crucibles and a Sputter Coating option.
A range of techniques can be practiced including carbon support films and replicas for TEM, Carbon/Metal Evaporation, Low Angle Shadowing and sequential layer coatings using dual source evaporation and the Sputter Coating option can be used for a range of target materials.
The system flexibility is further enhanced by the use of a micro-controller, which readily allows the Customer access to a range of options, but readily 'defaults' to optimum operating conditions, allowing both fully automatic and manual override as required.
The unique Loading Rack out Drawer sample system gives the user easy sample access with good sample size and the hinged lid assembly makes any other areas of the system readily accessible.
The unit has a Turbo Pump, externally mounted for convenience and easy exchange, and is backed up by a Rotary Vacuum Pump. The complete pumping sequence is under fully automatic control, achieving a high vacuum for evaporation.
The Unit is bench mounted, with easy to use controls, and cannot be damaged by inadvertent use.
Note: The K975S is based on the K975X, however it has a special load lock door which allows the entry of 8" wafer for carbon coating, with applications such as FIB work.
- Automatic pumping sequence
- Samples up to 140 mm square or 200 mm diameter
- Unique 'anti-stick' carbon rod gun evaporation assembly
- Rack out drawer sample loading system
- Selectable evaporation supplies giving x 4 evaporation settings
- Restricted or full vent control
- Sputter coating (option) for range of metal targets, including Cr and Pt
- Film thickness monitor (option)
- Ease of operation
- Flexible usage
- Reliable carbon evaporation
- Convenient sample loading/unloading
- Flexible operation - carbon and metal evaporation sources
- Prevents disturbance of samples
- Fully flexible system
- Easy to measure level of metal or carbon deposition
Specifications of the K975X High Vacuum Evaporator:
- Instrument Case - W: 450 mm x D: 500 mm x H: 300 mm
- Borosilicate Glass Work Chamber with Hinged Top Plate - Dia: 250 mm x H: 300 mm (can accommodate samples to 200 mm) (8") in Dia.
- Safety Polycarbonate Implosion Guard - To suit work chamber readily removable for maintenance
- Weight - 65 kg.
- Carbon Gun - Adjustable height with Tilt Control 0-20 o. Uses 6.15 mm Carbon Rods
- Turbomolecular Pump - 100 L/Seconds as Standard Optional Sizes Available
- Vacuum Gauges - Active Gauge Head (incl. Penning gauge) Atm to 1 x 10-7 mbar.
- Working Vacuum - within 15 minutes
- Operating Vacuum - Into x 10-5 mbar range (Liquid Nitrogen Trap Option Available)
- Evaporation Supply (Pulsed or Variable Control) - 4 x Selectable, Low Voltage Volts a.c. V, 5 V, 15 V,25 V @ 25 amps. 7 V @100 amps
- Specimen Table - With Tilt Facility 0-45 o
- Rotating Specimen Table Option - 60 mm Dia. Tilting 0-45 o, with Variable Speed Control 15 rpm To 45 rpm
- Sputtering Option
- Deposition - 0 - 100 mA
- Deposition Rate - 0-50 nm/Minute Gold (Au)
- Standard Target - 57 mm Au (options Pt, Pt/Pd, Pd, Cr, Ni, Cu, Ag)
- Timer - 0 to 4 Minutes
- HT Safety Interlocked
Use of optional sputter module
The sputter module has to be installed by the factory, it is permanently wired into the system. The exchange between sputtering and evaporation is easy - remove the evaporation source or sputter target from the appropriate terminal and replace it with the required source. To avoid contamination of the sputter source with carbon, remove the sputter target from the chamber if only one evaporation is needed. For sequential evaporation and sputtering it is best to install a shutter in order to protect the target during evaporation. (Shutter Assembly - AL410123).
Film Thickness Option
Services - Argon (For Sputtering option) Nominal 4 psi
- Vacuum Pump (Recommended) - E2M5 complete with vacuum hose and oil mist filter 4 m3/h
- Electrical supply - 230 Volts - 50/60 Hz - 8 amp normal including pump. In pulse mode a minimum of 16 amp is required.
Rotary pump - See page V4 and K6 + basic oil mist filter
EK3170 - Diaphragm pump MD1 23 L/M
EK4160 - Low angled shadowing
EK4205 - Rotary stage planetary (with externally adjustable tilt)
EK4175 - Sputtering module
EK4165 - Film thickness monitor (mounted in K975X console)
EK3172 - XDS10 Scroll pump